Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Relationship Conundrum

I've been thinking about this for a while and whilst I tend not to adhere to the tenets of altruism, I believe that in general terms, relationships can be perfected in ignorance. A heady statement to be sure but hear me out. Relationship breakdowns occur due to various reasons and to name a few, here's a list:

  • selfish pursuits
  • selfish desires
  • selfish needs

A short list, I know, but sums it up. I truly feel that when you give something and expect nothing then you become a person that can be open in any relationship and attract those around you.

Often I find people living a contractual life. Their relationships are viewed as transactions where something is given and the same or better is expected in return. To me, this is not giving someone your all. It's giving only what is required by the balance of those transactions.

I encourage everyone to try this experiment for 2 weeks. In each of your relationships, ie, spouse, friend, brother, son, father, mother, colleague, partner, sister, daughter, etc., make it a priority to give your all and expect nothing in return. See how much it makes a difference.

1 comment:

Blanche said...

I'm looking forward to how 'your' experiment works out!!!